INDECOM seeks witnesses after viral police shooting of woman in St James

May 18, 2026
Crime scene

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) is urging witnesses to come forward as probes continue into the fatal police shooting of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, otherwise called 'Buju', in Granville, St James.

The incident, which happened on Sunday, has sparked widespread attention after CCTV footage of the shooting began circulating online.

In a statement Monday, INDECOM confirmed that investigators responded independently to the incident and are now appealing for additional witness accounts and video footage, especially from persons who were travelling in the vehicle Bulgin was driving at the time.

The commission said the growing use of cellphone and CCTV footage in police shootings continues to play a major role in modern policing oversight.

According to INDECOM, such videos can provide critical context about the actions of both civilians and law enforcement before, during and after fatal encounters.

However, the agency stressed that investigations must include a full review of all available evidence, including statements and eyewitness reports.

INDECOM also revealed that the three officers reportedly assigned to crowd control duties during a protest at the time of the shooting were not equipped with body-worn cameras.

Bulgin’s death has pushed the number of people fatally shot by security forces in May to 15.

The commission says 130 people have been killed by members of the security forces since the start of the year, compared to 129 during the corresponding period last year.

We want to hear from you! Email us at star@gleanerjm.com and follow @thejamaicastar on Instagram and on X @JamaicaStar and on Facebook: @TheJamaicaStar, or on Whatsapp @ 876-550-2506.

Other News Stories